S337 Höfner, Germany, late nineteenth or early twentieth century
The Höfner workshops were established in what was then Austrian Bohemia in the 1880’s. From the beginning, they made a wide diversity of stringed instruments and their accessories for a burgeoning middle-class market. Then, as now, Höfner produced a broad range graded according to quality. This well-preserved early cello was made for the upper end of the market, as its silver mounts and selected, octagonal pernambuco stick can testify. The stick is strong and resistant to sideways pressure.